Friday, December 2, 2011

Extremely Unpublished Novelist

I know you're not supposed to do this, but I couldn't help myself. I printed out a copy of my very drafty novel. And -- being me -- I had to do it in a way that made it look like a little book. Only took me two tries and about two hours to get it right.

And then -- oh no! I read a little bit of it. I thought it wasn't so bad. I think if I had read more of it, I probably would've changed my mind.

In any case, I do intend to follow Stephen King's advice and stick it in a drawer for a couple of months, and then pick it back up again to see if I feel like editing it. Actually what it needs is at least another 50,000, maybe even 100,000, words to turn it into a fully developed story. I think Mr. King says that one of his novels is between 250,000 and 300,000 words. So there you go. That's six months of work. Of course his books SELL, so therefore he gets paid for that kind of work.



Meanwhile, I will continue not to get paid as an illustrator, instead of not getting paid as a writer. Tra la.

No comments:

Post a Comment