Sunday, May 6, 2012

Chocomet Cooookies



Nothing like skipping church to do a little baking. (The only thing I can do competently in the kitchen, so of which I am justifiably proud.) Hoping the recipient (hint, hint) will be zippy enough to collect the package o' chocolate deliciousness when it arrives ON her birthday.

I will now (eek) share the secret (hah) of the fabulousness of my chocolate chip cookies:

1. Yes, I use the recipe on the Nestle's Semi-Sweet Chips bag. Oven temp is supposed to be 325 degrees, and baking time (if your oven is on an even keel, which ours ain't) is supposed to be 9 to 11 minutes.

2. Use Crisco (or lard, if you have it) instead of butter.
3. Mix dough by hand, not with an electric mixer. Good for your upper arms, better for the cookie dough.

4. I use a Silpat baking mat, but that has not always been part of my cookie baking tradition, so I think not essential. However, those double-thickness cookie sheets seem to make a difference (see what Martha Stewart has to say about them here.)

5. Underbake slightly (not a problem in our perpetually anemic oven.)

6. Results: Chunkier, yet softer, chewier cookies (as in, not flat, crispy and hard). My favorite!

And of course the deliciousness was assured by the sampling of a few test items. 

Dogs further enjoyed bowl and spoon licking -- no complaints.



No comments:

Post a Comment